The right inventory in your kitchen will make cooking at home both easier and more enjoyable. But how do you know whether you have everything you need? Before you stock your new kitchen, read through this complete checklist so you can proceed intelligently.
Whatever your culinary specialty or aspirations, you can’t cook without the right cookware. Essentials should include:
- Two sizes of frying pans.
- Three or four sizes of pots/saucepans.
- Baking sheet.
- Roasting pan.
- Muffin tins.
- Two sizes of casserole dishes.
Food prep items
Professional chefs suggest starting each meal prep with a “mise en place,” which is a fancy French way of saying “setting up.” Getting all your ingredients prepared ahead of cooking them can be a gamechanger. For that, you’ll need:
- Three sizes of cutting boards.
- One dedicated cutting board for meats.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- Set of nesting mixing bowls.
- Set of small bowls for spices or sauces.
- Vegetable peeler.
You will also need utensils to help with both prepping and cooking. The necessary tools include:
- Knife set, including a nice chef’s knife.
- Wooden or silicone spoon set.
- Slotted spoon.
- Pizza cutter.
- Potato masher.
- Kitchen scissors.
- Meat thermometer.
Your kitchen isn’t truly complete until all your items are well organized and easy to find. This includes both food and kitchen accessories. You should think about these items:
- Jars or canisters for food storage.
- Spice rack and spice jars.
- Fruit bowl.
- Knife block or wall-mounted magnet.
- Drawer organizers.